How to Use Essential Oils
Unlike perfume oils that simply smell good, Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ essential oils have the complete optimal blend of plant chemicals to ensure maximum potency and results. Always read the label on your bottle of essential oil to determine the best way to use your product. The following how-to-use essential oils guide will show you how to experience their health-enhancing benefits:
Inhaling essential oils heightens the senses and can trigger numerous desired responses in the body. Follow these guidelines when using essential oils for inhalation:
- Inhale directly—simply smell them.
- Diffuse the oils using a diffuser, which disperses the oil in a micro-fine vapor into the air. The diffuser will not heat the oils, thus ensuring full benefits, as extreme heat can damage important constituents in the oil.
- Use with a humidifier. Put a tissue or small cloth, sprinkled with a few drops of oil, in front of the escaping steam. (Do not put essential oil in your humidifier. It will float on top of the water instead of rising with the water vapor and may cause damage to your humidifier.)
- Carefully pour warm water into a bowl and add a few drops of essential oil. Cover your head and bowl in a tent-like fashion with a towel. Breathe deeply and slowly.
Topical application of many essential oils is safe and can offer an enjoyable, relaxing experience. For topical application, follow these simple steps:
- Carefully tip the oil bottle and place 2–3 drops in the palm of your hand or directly on the desired application area.
- If dropping oil in your hand, rub palms together in a circular motion and then massage oil onto the desired point of application. If applying directly to the desired area, use your hand to massage the oil in a circular motion into the skin. Repeat if desired.
- Caution: Essential oils are very potent and some may be irritating to the skin. If irritation occurs, immediately apply pure vegetable oil such as V-6™ Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex to the area to dilute. Please read label directions for each individual oil before using.
Many essential oils make excellent food flavorings or dietary supplements. To use essential oils for internal consumption, Young Living suggests these methods:
- Place several drops of oil into an empty capsule and swallow the capsule with water.
- Add 1–2 drops to a glass of water.
- Put 1–2 drops onto a piece of bread or add to your meals when cooking.
- Add 1–2 drops onto a teaspoon of Agave or honey and swallow.
- Drop directly onto the tongue and swallow. Exercise extreme caution when using this method. Many essential oils are potent and should be tested by pouring a single drop onto a spoon and tasting a small portion to determine the amount of oil to be used.